London, UK, April 24, 2017 (Newswire.com) - A Self-Publishing Masterclass, Learn to Prepare, Publish & Promote Like a Pro, will be held Saturday, 23 September, 2017, at the London School of Economics, Saw Swee Hock Centre, 1 Sheffield Street, London WC2A 2AP.
The full-day event will guide authors through the entire self-publishing process, from first draft to publication date and beyond. Led by highly experienced and well-known self-publishing professionals, the Self-Publishing Masterclass will be an invaluable day for any author interested in publishing their book.
- Roz Morris (Author, Editor and Writing Coach): Editing a Manuscript to a Professional Level
- Jessica Bell (Vine Leaves Press: Publisher, Author and Designer): Creating a Quality Product - Cover, Design, Formatting and Blurbs
- Ben Cameron (Cameron Publicity and Marketing): Reaching Your Audience - Book Marketing and Publicity
- Robin Cutler (IngramSpark): Printing, Distribution, Pricing and Metadata
(Early Bird Tickets available for £80 until 31st May 2017)
Tickets can be purchased at: selfpublishingmasterclass.org
What authors will learn
Editing a Manuscript to a Professional Level (Speaker: Roz Morris)
- Overview: What happens to a manuscript at a publisher and the editing/checking stages before the manuscript is published.
- The author’s learning curve: taking a first-time writer’s book to a professional level.
- The stages of editing: Detailed content edit for style and market suitability, copy edit and proofread.
- The time scale: How much time to allow for each stage and how to book professionals in advance.
- The editorial budget: What professional editing costs and when you can safely rely on non-expert & free help.
- How to choose the right editorial expert: Suitability for your book, assessing references and qualifications.
Book Production: Creating a Quality Product (Speaker: Jessica Bell)
- Overview: An introduction to the list of tasks (and in what order they should be undertaken) to produce digital and physical books.
- Book Cover Design: The fundamentals of book cover design and how to brief and work with a book cover designer.
- Writing Front/Back Matter: What to include in the front and back of your book.
- Typesetting & eBook formatting: Things to consider when outsourcing to freelancers and tips and tricks for doing it yourself.
- Proofreading Designed Pages
Book Publicity & Marketing (Speaker: Ben Cameron)
- Overview: What are publicity and marketing activities?
- Embracing publicity and marketing: The right frame of mind goes a long way.
- Publicity: Including newspapers, magazines, television, radio & online media
o Finding the right media contacts for your book
o Writing a press release and perfecting the pitch
o Making contact and following up
o Turning interest into coverage
o Book blurbs and author biographies
o Mailing lists, online advertising and price promotions.
- Social Media: What's what, and how to make the most of it.
Printing & Distribution (Speaker: Robin Cutler)
- Overview: What printing and distribution options are available to self-publishers.
- Print on Demand (POD): The Advantages/Disadvantages of Using POD, how it works and how you can use it to reduce the financial investment needed to publish a book.
- Pricing and international distribution: Pricing and making your titles available to international markets.
- How to get Ingram distribution as a new author through IngramSpark
- Metadata: What it is, why it is important and how to get it right
About the Speakers
Roz Morris has more than 25 years' experience in publishing. As an editor, she has worked as a mentor with Cornerstones literary consultancy, helping writers polish their manuscripts to a stage where they will be taken seriously by literary agents. She now works with authors independently and one client won the Roald Dahl Funny Prize. She has run the editorial department of a small imprint, teaches creative writing masterclasses for The Guardian newspaper and is the author of the acclaimed Nail Your Novel series. As a writer, Roz has sold more than 4 million copies worldwide, although you won't have seen her name on the covers—she began her career in secret, ghostwriting fiction for big-name authors. Now she's coming out of the shadows with novels of her own--My Memories of a Future Life and Lifeform Three, which was longlisted for an international award alongside Neil Gaiman.
Jessica Bell began her career as a graphic designer when she self-published her first book as an author back in 2011. Being the type of person that believes that ‘if there is a will there is a way,’ she embarked on a self-taught design journey, 1) because she was penniless, and 2) because she’s always loved a creative challenge. Very soon after her design debut, she started designing covers for author friends as a favour. Until one of her friends told her that she should start a business. She took their advice, and since then she has designed hundreds of covers for indie, traditional, and hybrid authors, many of which have hit bestseller lists, and won awards. Jessica is also the author of the bestselling Writing in a Nutshell series, the Publisher of Vine Leaves Press, the coordinator of the Writing Day Workshops, and the singer of Keep Shelly in Athens.
Ben Cameron is the founder of Cameron Publicity and Marketing and has over 20 years’ experience in book publicity, marketing, publishing and sales with both traditional publishers and self-published authors. In 2006 he created Cameron Publicity & Marketing to offer the same marketing services that large publishers benefit from to all authors. Ben is a regular speaker and writer on book marketing and contributes articles to The Writers’ and Artists’ Yearbook, Writing Magazine, The Huffington Post, The Self-Publishing Magazine and other media outlets. He has also run masterclasses on book promotion for The Guardian and speaks at many publishing events. Ben is a member of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations, The Independent Publisher Guild, The Alliance of Independent Authors and the Publishers’ Publicity Circle.
As the Director of IngramSpark at Ingram Content Group, Robin Cutler is committed to helping independent publishers easily get their content into the hands of readers around the globe. To help make this happen, Robin Cutler led the development of IngramSpark and continues to support and refine the platform to better serve independent publishers around the world. Robin began her career in publishing over 30 years ago at a university press when she designed her first book, typeset in linotype and printed in letterpress. After years of university publishing in South Carolina and Wisconsin, she started a trade imprint, SummerHouse Press, and served as its CEO. Robin most recently worked for Amazon’s CreateSpace. Robin has broad knowledge of indie, academic and trade publishing and is an expert in content creation and distribution, on-demand models, marketing and author strategies.
For more information, visit: http://www.selfpublishingmasterclass.org/
The Self-Publishing Masterclass is proudly sponsored by IngramSpark
Source: Cameron Publicity and Marketing Ltd